Strategies For Your Success
Working with the CFR team is an ongoing process that is focused on building strong, solid and long-term relationships between you – a young UC San Diego investigator – and the entities that share your vision for your field of study. It’s beneficial to begin working together early in a faculty career to optimize private funding potential and the sustainability of research and projects.
Following are the some of the services we offer:
- Identifying and researching funding prospects;
- Partnering with faculty and leadership to frame and communicate the vision and impact of their work for philanthropic and lay audiences;
- Assisting with proposal and letter of inquiry preparation as well as leading coordinated submissions;
- Monitoring foundation trends and activities to aid in strategic development;
- Facilitating the coordination of site visits on campus and at the offices of foundation leadership; and
- Liaising with marketing to ensure the successes of our faculty are shared locally, nationally and internationally as appropriate.
Through collaboration we can employ some of the following strategies to maximize support for your research from corporations and foundations:
- Meet with program officers of likely funding agencies (connections can be made through CFR contacts, as well as through attendance at professional conferences);
- Volunteer to serve on review panels;
- Stay in touch with program officers and foundation board members beyond the life of the grant, keeping them updated of your work and progress;
- Network with potential collaborators, and learn who is funding their work;
- In tandem with your NSF CAREER award, apply for funding opportunities specific for young investigators (extensive list available on this site); and